Have you ever been stressed and grabbed a bag of potato chips and a soda? If so, you probably felt good for 15 minutes and then felt worse. This is because if you eat empty calories your blood sugar will rise and drop quickly. When you are under stress, your body goes though many changes and often depletes B Vitamins, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and Magnesium. If is important to consume B Vitamins because it allows your body to convert food into energy and helps support the brain cells and nerves, which is important when you are under stress.
Here is a list of foods to grab the next time you are under stress:
- Asparagus– Contains folic acid which helps relieve stress
- Avocados– Contains the highest amount of folic acid than any other fruit.
- Oranges– High in Vitamin C, which helps, boosts the immune system to allow you to manage stress. The peel helps protect the fruit so you can take one anywhere you go, such as putting one in your backpack, purse, car, etc.
- Walnuts– Contains alpha-linolenic acid an essential omega 3 fatty acid that helps prevent memory loss and helps regulate your Cortisol and adrenaline hormones.
- Green Tea– contains L-Theanine, which helps relax the body within 30-40 minutes.
- Pumpkin Seeds– contains magnesium, which helps relax your muscles.
- Fish– contains Taurine which is a calming amino acid
The next time you are stressed make sure to grab one of these 7 foods instead of junk food and you should notice your body’s ability to handle stress a little better.
Copyright © 2012. Integrated Health Systems. All rights reserved. Jodie is the therapy assistant and personal trainer for Integrated Health Systems. You can contact Jodie at Jodie@matta144.sg-host.com . If you are struggling with your health and want to learn more, visit our website at www.matta144.sg-host.com